1) Begin by downloading this disc image.
^ the download will start automatically, let it download. From there, burn the ISO onto a CD/RW disc
2) burn it at anything, with any generic iso burning software (I burned my disk at 4x)
3) After burning, put the CD/RW disk into the softmodded xbox and let the xbox boot it.
4) a blue screen will come up, it will automatically select to "boot from CDROM"
5) Select 640x480, use the "A" button to select it.
6) Color code will flash onto the screen, that's normal.
7) After a while, a desktop will start to load. When it does, your controller takes controll over the mouse.
8) Press "B" on the controller and a menu will come up.
9) Hit "loopback install", afterwards a window will come up saying "THIS PROGRAM WILL INSTALL A LOOPBACK FILE INSIDE YOUR XBOX PARTITION. NO FILES WILL BE DELETED AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO USE YOUR XBOX PARTITIONS AS NORMAL. DO YOU WISH TO CONTINUE?" Just hit yes by pressing "A" on the controller.
10) After that, another window will pop up that says "SELECT AN XBOX PARTITION TO INSTALL TO" , just select whatever is highlited.
11) another window will pop up for your partition size, by default it has 200 listed. any number listed is in megabytes, so 200 is actually 200mb. Dependong on how much space you have, make a partition on whatever space you want. (Just remember 1000mb = 1gb)
12) another window will come up which somewhat looks like a terminal, let it sit. It should stay there for 3 - 5 minutes
13) Another window will come up saying basically "do this at your own risk" <--- summarized. This is your last chance to turn back if you don't want to install XDSL. Hit "OK" if you wish to install
14) Another window will come up saying "do you wish to enable autologin?......" Say yes, otherwise you will have a username and password. Select "yes"
15) another window will come up saying "are you sure that you want to do this? This is your last chance to turn back" <--- summarized. but hit "yes"
16) a terminal - like window will come up. it will start writing code, just let it work. This should take anywhere from 3 - 10 minutes.
17) another window will come up after the long wait, it will say "do you wish to install xromwell onto your xbox?..." hit "yes"
18) Afterwards you get another window telling you that xromwell was successfully copied to E:\apps/xromwell
19) you will get a window that says "XDSL SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED" , hit "ok"
20) another window will po up, it will say "do you wish to create a swap file?". Select "Yes"
21) by this point, nothing matters. Keep selecting "A" until all of the new windows go away.
22) reboot by clicking the "quit" application and clicking the blue "reboot" button
23) Afterwards, go to your applications folder on the dashbboard. Linux will be listed in this folder.
Select it, now you have linux installed onto your xbox
Watch this installation video if you want instructions which are more visual